Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Peer Review #1- Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent
 

In response to this review: http://loveliterature713.blogspot.ca/2012/09/insurgent-book-review_18.html by my peer Danika.

In their review of Insurgent, my peer explained how she could emphasize with Tris, the main heroine. I however had difficulty connecting to Tris throughout some of the novel due to her excessive hostility. Though I understand that this is a part of Tris’s demeanor and character, it made reading the novel less enjoyable. My peer expressed how she wished that Veronica Roth (author of Insurgent) had provided more insight into why the factions were created. Before finishing Insurgent, I felt the same way. After finishing the book, I think that Roth has purposefully avoided explaining the origin of the factions and that it will be revealed in the final book of the trilogy. Though I disagreed with some aspects of my peers review, I agree with their sentiment on the books theme: “appreciating those you love and valuing your own life”. Leading up to the climax, Tris is faced with what seems to be her own death. While faced with such a daunting reality, Tris’s character reflects on her situation and gains a greater understanding of her own life and learns to appreciate those who are important to her instead of pushing them away.

Insurgent was a unique read. The book was, at times, fast paced and action packed, but at others it was thoroughly underwhelming. Areas of the book that lacked climactic scenes became drawn out and dry (for example when Tris was camping out with the factionless) which led to me being disengaged in the book. At a few points in the novel, information was thrown out very abruptly and you were not given enough time to analyze the information which got bit confusing for me as a reader. For example, when Tris believes she is about to die I was (along with Tris) emotionally preparing for her death, but within a few sentences she had escaped because of a seemingly pointless reason, leaving me puzzled and trying to keep up. A different aspect of the book I thought was extremely well done was the scene-specific settings. Throughout the novel, Roth did a masterful job at creating believable, well detailed settings. When Tris walks into an Abnegation home, you immediately resonate with her and feel as though you have been transported into the house with her you are emotionally resonating with her memories, their magnitude at that point in the story, and Tris’s losses. Though Insurgent had its merits, it was not one of my best reads.

2 comments:

  1. Meagan,
    I thought that that your book review was very well done! I really loved how you organized your thoughts because it made it flow great and it was was to read. I also love how you talk about a lot of different literary elements and you very clearly state your opinion. I was wondering if you are planning to read the third book of the series, Divergent 3? What do you think will happen in the book? Overall I think that you did a great job!
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think it's a great idea that you share the book with a peer. It's interesting how someone else can interpret the same words in a different way. I think Meagan did a great job describing the book, it can be difficult to do if the book isn't really appealing to you. Great job Meagan!

    - Lynn

    ReplyDelete